Merilee gave us some wonderful pictures and asked us to use her ideas workshop to generate some starting points for stories. Some people have posted their main ideas, but I thought I would go with how I came up with my ideas too.
First impressions – horrified, stressed, angry, annoyed, frustrated, embarrassment, hostility
Second impressions –
- something horrific has happened behind him, while it wasn’t too traumatic for her (waxing legs perhaps?),
- the fish was this big?,
- focusing only on him – he is exasperated as he walked home from work – losing his mind? (woman is an innocent bystander),
- she is his wife and just told him she is leaving him for another woman
Third impressions: (The What If’s)
- What if it was an accident and he could not handle the scene,
- What if she had had a really bad day at work and her husband didn’t want to know about it, the start of a fight?
- What if he had a migraine headache and moments later his head blew apart?
- What if he was running because a bomb was about to go off, but she didn’t believe him.
- What if she wasn’t really there… only he could see her?
- What if he was wearing casts on his arms and they were permanently in that position? Why? What happened?
First impressions – summer storms, peninsula, isolation, salt air, steaming beaches, fishing stands, ocean, lakefront
- Houses haunted by a spirit or an idea
- silent screams felt in the atmosphere
- crying, loneliness, dessertion
- the isolation of the place limits contact with the outside world (the isolation is deliberate)
- the peace, calm and serenity drive people to want to stay at the popular lake front cottages
Third Impressions (The What Ifs)
- What if the cloud patterns were actually created by UFO’s?
- What if the isolation of the place drove him to insanity and he killed his family
- What if the peace and calm hit a deeper and meaner spirit the house is haunted by
- What if the sea levels rose?
- What happens when the lake mists roll in over them?
First Impressions – galaxy, marble, shamrock, thought patterns, tunnel, hypnosis, smokescreen, laser pattern
Second Impressions – can honestly say I didn’t do this part, because so many fantastic ideas just lent themselves to this picture. The more abstract and “limiting” the picture, the more I seem to be able to expand my ideas!
The What Ifs:
- What if this was the pattern seen within a dream machine used to hynoptise people to extract their dreams
- What if this was part of a tunnel in an amusement park and people came out hypnotised (whoops, starting to get onto a similar theme here!)
- What if this was a laser show within a nightclub?
- What if this was a diagnostic picture of someone’s thoughts (modern ink blot test)
- What if this was the symbol within a pack of cornflakes to indicate you had won a trip to the next nearest galaxy
- What if it was a smoke screen that you had to come through to be reborn
- What if it was a photograph / ultrasound of an alien being in the womb?
- What if this is an ancient symbol recently discovered and it is sending signals into space, and it had originally been buried because of intergalatic communication in the past?
- What if this was a photograph of someones thought patterns when they were given some sort of stimulus, like a picture of calm water?
- What if this was a cell about to multiply? What implications would there be?
I haven’t gone as far as adding the where and who, because at this stage I am not ready to use any of these as story ideas, but I did enjoy the exercise. Just wish it would flow through to my gothic story!