This is a simple prompt for today. Create a list-type post, and admit in public all your dirty little writing confessions. Or some clean ones, if you have washed up.
1. My desk is a mess! I have a computer set up in the corner, which I do my business stuff on, although my son has taken over the corner. So I now write in the lounge by the fire. Hopefully when it warms up, I will be able to go back to my desk.
2. Depression really affects my writing! I know I have already said this, but it does. It stops me from feeling creative, which I need to be in order to keep my brain functioning properly. If I can’t write, (or edit) I like to draw or bead.
3. My heroines are all me. I try really hard to create a heroine, but they always end up being me. I want to kick arse, kiss the good guy, ride the steam powered motorcycle. I suppose I live vicariously through my heroines.
4. I used to hate editing with a passion. I used to think my stories were good enough to not have to edit them… I guess I have matured in my writing, because I am aware that it can take a few edits before a book is near to be considered ready. But now, I love editing. I love finding the gems in my story and polishing them and making my story shine.
5. If I don’t find someone to publish my stories, I might consider self publishing and becoming and Indie writer! I know that my stories aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, but there is a market for them. Just look at T G Ayer and Melissa Pearl! Awesome NZ YA authors! I want to follow in their footsteps one day.
6. I am not a Grammar Nazi – I don’t get it! I write a sentence that makes sense to me. Often WORD doesn’t think it is a proper sentence and tells me that it is confused, – but that makes me confused. I write, don’t ask me to correct the grammar in your story.
7. My very first story – other than the one about the rope being “rope-knapped” and used to hang the Maungatapu Murderers – is “My Idol Simon Le Bon” – I can’t believe I wrote it! Fortunately (at least I hope so) it has long gone, but when I think about it now, it is so cringe-worthy! The story is about – yes you guessed it – about Simon Le Bon, and me, as a truck driver(?!) and he is kidnapped. Man, that is just so bad!
8. I have two stories (none completed) which I have handwritten – including a kidnapped rock star (there’s a theme running there), a murdered cop (and a cross dressing cop). The murdered cop was started after I watched Basic Instinct, and is a real twisty plotty story – I don’t know if I ever will write it properly 🙂
9. I have to listen to music while I write! Especially when I am at home, because it helps to cancel out the noise that is going on around me. I don’t know if my writing is affected by the music, but I do love listening to something different and feeling the emotions as I write.
10. Not really a new confession, but I can’t write without a plan! I just run out of steam if I don’t, so I definitely need a plan. It is ok to go off on a tangent, but if it doesn’t work, at least I have the plan to come back to.
There, something new for you guys to chuckle over 🙂