All during the month of June I participated in HalfNoC, a 25k word challenge (Half a Novel), and I was using this to rewrite Medusa’s Garden into a romance, because one of my lovely friends had possibly found a place for it to be submitted.

So I wrote.  And I wrote, and the more I wrote the more I felt the novel drift out of my reach.  Why?  I couldn’t put my finger on it, but it just wasn’t going where I wanted it to go, or do what I wanted it to do.  I had most of my major scenes happen in the middle of the story which meant the ending was going to be lame… Hmmm, how was I going to fix my dilemma?

Research had told me that Medusa lived on an island called Cisthene, just underneath the Turkish Coast.  Yet Perseus flew past Ethiopia on the way home and saved Andromeda.  So that didn’t make sense.  Why would be fly away from Athens to fly back there… Hmmm, another problem.

More research followed, and no matter what I did, I couldn’t seem to make my story gel, until I found a very interesting point.  The island that Medusa lived on, could have been in the Red sea.  Now the Red Sea is bordered by Egypt, Sudan and… Ethiopia.  Click.

I now had a way to make my story go forward, but something wasn’t right with the rest of the story.  On Thursday night, I needed a real solution, something that would help me to see the story as I had currently written it, yet I could manipulate the story to change it around, move scenes.  Click.

I found one of my noticeboards and using lots of stick it notes, I wrote up the scenes I had already written (they were in a series of chapters) and scenes that would help to fill in the story.  I found some pins and starting working the story.

Suddenly, I realised that with a few new scenes and rearranging some of the key middle scenes to the end, I already had most of my story written.  I only have 5 key pieces to really finish my story, and by moving scenes, I am able to create more sexual tension.

It was a light bulb moment.  A moment that made me realise that the story could be worked, and I have been itching to get back to it ever since, and I would have yesterday, except I was feeling really grotty and needed a Nanna nap!  But I have a story now that I can work with.  And with a little luck, and some time to myself, I might just get it done in the next two weeks, plenty of time for me to get an edit through before I have to submit the story, but I am feeling more confident about the story than I did a week ago.

Medusa Update
Tagged on:         

2 thoughts on “Medusa Update

  • July 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm
    Permalink

    That’s a great solution. Glad to hear you are back on track with Medusa. I look forward to reading the finished story.

    Reply
  • July 10, 2012 at 11:38 am
    Permalink

    I love having a board with it out like that, makes it really easy to see how to fix the story structure I think!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *